A triple stone row that measured 62m long and included seven small stones and numerous fallen and buried stones when first described in 1898 after robbing for a newtake wall was subsequently destroyed by afforestation in 1946. The row was orientated north to south and led from a cairn which still survives at its upper northern end. There are several other cairns in the vicinity.
|England Devon Dartmoor SX 67670 79980 Lat 50.60442673 Long -3.87143424|
Map showing the location of Soussons Down stone row.
|Type: Triple||Length: 62m|
|No. of stones: ?||Size of stones: ?|
|Orientation: 0°||Altitude: 412m|
|Upper end: Cairn||Lower end: –|
|Straight (Yes or No) : ?||Sea View: Yes|
|Public Access: Yes|
|Land Status: National Park|
|Scheduled Ancient Monument: No|
Burl, A., 1993, From Carnac to Callanish – The prehistoric rows and avenues of Britain, Ireland and Brittany, Yale University Press, New York and London, pg. 215.
Butler, J., 1991, Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities – Vol. 2 – The North, Devon Books Exeter, pg.19.
VISITED:- Not visited
FIRST PUBLISHED:- 24th January 2016
LAST UPDATED:- 31st March 2018