The northern stone (J.R. Allen, 1882, 96-7)
|Scotland||Perth and Kinross||Central Scotland||NO 19715 20983|
|Lat 56.37435821 Long -3.30151339|
Plan of the stones (J.R., Allen, 1882, 95)
|Type: Single||Length: 5.8m|
|No. of stones: 3||Size of stones: Medium and large|
|Orientation: 157.5°||Altitude: 20m|
|Upper end: –||Lower end: –|
|Straight (Yes or No) :||Sea View: No|
Notes: This group of stones have been described as a stone alignment. Burl, Coutts and Historic Environment Scotland all describe the monument as consisting of three stones. Dr M.E.C. Stewart who excavated the site in the early 1960’s however described it as a stone pair. She clearly believed that the recumbent stone did not form part of the original design. Her excavations revealed that “neither upright stood in a prepared socket and no packing stones were noted”. In addition she noted that “a modern teacup and flowerpot had been inserted at the base” of the northern cupmarked stone.
The absence of sockets, packing and the possibility of the “modern” finds having been incorporated when the stone was erected suggest that this site may be relatively modern. This combined with the original position of the stones in a prominent position between the late 18th mansion of Pitfour Castle and its West Lodge strongly suggests that this group of stones were probably erected in the latter part of the 18th century as an “eye-catcher” for the nearby grand residence. The cup-marked stone was probably retrieved from another part of the estate and used to provide an”historic pedigree” for the new antiquity. This explanation fits the evidence rather better than the prehistoric interpretation and this site has therefore been transferred to the Dubious, uncertain and unlikely part of the gazetteer.
|Public Access: No|
|Scheduled Ancient Monument: Yes|