Spinster’s Rock



England     Devon     Dartmoor     SX 69890 90789     Lat 50.70208097    Long -3.8438799




Original plan of the stone rows and circles. (Ormerod, G.W., 1872, 73).


Simplified plan of the stone rows and circles according to Polwhele and Grey. Without the “helpful”  interpretative lines in the original this looks more like a a natural scatter of rocks. There is also a strong likelihood that other stones in the vicinity were not recorded. The red dots are stones depicted by Grey and the green ones by Polwhele. (After Ormerod, G.W., 1872, 73).


Type: ? Length: ?m
No. of stones: ? Size of stones: ?
Orientation: ?° Altitude: 233m
Upper end: – Lower end: –
Straight (Yes or No)  : ? Sea View: No
Context:  Chambered cairn
Notes: Destroyed sometime between 1838 and 1872. Online Devonshire Association article does not contain a complete copy of the plan. Worth, R.H. considers that this site was a fabrication. So no consensus. Originally included because two separate accounts, however it is now considered much more likely that this site represented a collection of earthfast boulders and the occasional upright stone. The form of the rows is unlike anything surviving in Great Britain and whilst this cannot in itself be a reason for doubting its authenticity, the lack of any evidence to support the contention that this group of rows and stone circles ever existed is more problematic. Of particular concern is the fact that the plan was prepared after a site visit and not published for more than 30 years. Taking all these factors together there is simply not enough evidence to support unequivocal acceptance of these rows.

Other Information

Public Access:  No
Land Status: National Park
Scheduled Ancient Monument: No

Online Resources 

PastScape     Historic Environment Record     Prehistoric Monuments of Dartmoor

Devonshire Association pgs. 73-4

Other References

Ormerod, G.W., 1872, ‘Notice of pre-historic remains formerly existing near the Drewsteignton Cromlech, Observed by the Rev. R. Polwhele prior to 1793 and mapped by the Rev. William Grey in 1838, Devonshire Association, Vol. 5, 73-4.


%d bloggers like this: